Coffee is my morning juice. It sustains me. My very survival depends on it. So it was no surprise or coincidence that I came upon the above reference of the SAMR model analogizing tech integration to Starbucks coffee.
SAMR developed by Dr. Ruben Puentedura has served as my model in sherpering (Yes, I made sherpa into a verb.) me upwards in the integration continuum. Up until a year ago, I had no North Star. I was like a kid in the candy shop trying out technology with wild abandon. Little did I know that there was no rhyme or reason to my tech integration until one day I came across the SAMR model.
The SAMR model much like Bloom's Taxonomy moves from the remembering level to the creating level. SAMR operates similarly. SAMR, a technology integration continuum moves from the SUBSTITUTE level up to the highest level: REDEFINITION. The goal is to move up in the continuum to impact your students. As you move upwards, student creation and engagement increase to name a few.
Mill Pond SAMR examples: Coffee at Starbucks instead of home
SUBSTITUTION: SAME TASK: NEW TECHNOLOGY
- Printing out a document
- Using Google Docs instead of a notebook and pen
Mill Pond SAMR examples: Cinnamon sprinkled on your coffee
AUGMENTATION: IMPROVEMENT OF TASKS WITH NEW FEATURES
- Bringing Newsela into Google Chrome and using the Speech feature to have the article read and highlight simultaneously. Or... using Newsela for a nonfiction text feature lesson and having kids highlight a portion of the text so they can annotate "close read" in the margins.
MODIFICATION: CHANGING THE TASK: Task redesign
Coffee with syrup and topped with whip cream
- Students are collaborating on Google Docs
- IMovie Book Trailers are created. Dee and I are working together on an iMovie Trailer project with her 6th grade students on Internet searches and plagiarism/copyright.
REDEFINITION: A WHOLE NEW TASK
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Students in Mrs. Henriques class created Popplets on all types of Nouns. They then used the camera and found examples of different types of nouns and brought their pictures into Popplet then into Explain Everything to create podcasts explaining their thinking to their classmates.
Let SAMR and coffee be your tech integration guide too!